I want to do more hiking!
What I like about it:
- Walking makes my body feel good.
- Being out in nature makes me happy.
- I enjoy messing around with gear and trying to organise the perfect packing list.
What I don't like about it:
- It can be hard to find the time to travel to hiking spots and do extended hikes.
- Gear can be expensive.
- I have a tendency to focus too much on amassing the right gear so I feel prepared; this can be expensive and a waste of time.
What I've learned so far (as of September 2022):
Stuff I want to try (as of September 2022):
- Trail runners are great. They're running shoes for off-road use. It seems more and more hikers are using them instead of boots, except in very rough or cold conditions. In my limited trials (several 5-15km walks), they've been very comfortable and I haven't got blisters.
- Making gear is a fun hobby. So far, I've made a couple of alcohol stoves from tins.
- Weighing stuff can be helpful.
- Lightweight coffee gear can be cheap. I bought a nut milk bag on eBay for $4.29. Haven't taken it hiking yet, but I made a pretty good cup of coffee with it at home.
- A quilt instead of a sleeping bag.
- A tarp instead of a tent.
My working principles (as of September 2022):
- Getting out there and walking is the most important thing.
- Start with the free or cheap solution for most needs. And stick with it until there's a valid reason to upgrade.